Mapped: Where to Find Rain Boots in Union Square
We may have a rain reprieve for the weekend, but showers are forecast to resume next week. After years of drought, you probably parted ways with your rain boots, and now you're left either Ubering everywhere or commuting with damp feet. If you're on the hunt for rain boots, Union Square is your most efficient shopping destination. Discount retailers like City Target, Marshall's, Ross, Saks Off Fifth, DSW, and Neiman's Last Call almost always have options. (Is the cardinal rule of budget-friendly shopping, "Thou shalt always stock rain gear?") I did the legwork around the Square's traditional retailers this week to scope out which stores still had rain boots, and—of course—documented my findings in a handy map. Click on the green stars for store information.
A number of stores ceased stocking rain boots during our multi-year drought because they didn't sell. Among those that ordered rain gear this year, stocks are depleted because rain boots are considered a winter item. The stores listed below have at least two styles in stock.
- Macy's, 170 O'Farrell Street. Macy's boasts the largest rain boot selection in the city. Interestingly, you can find more Michael Kors and Coach boots here than you can find at the Michael Kors and Coach stores. There are also options from brands like Sperry and Steve Madden. This is your best bet for the broadest selection of styles and price points. If you want choices, and you only have time to go to one store, this should be the one.
- Ugg, 437 Sutter Street. The Sutter Street store has one of the largest selections of rain boots in the city. Try the felt and rubber Reignfall and Sivada styles for a hanging-at-my-English-countryside-estate look.
- Barney's New York, 77 O'Farrell Street. Barney's has several styles from its house label that ring in under $200. The coolest rain kicks? These Yeezy-ish workboots for $150.
- Bloomingdales, 845 Market Street. Bloomie's has the most extensive collection of Hunter boots in the city. Traditional colors, prints, tall, short—you name it. You can also find the Hunter socks here.
- Burberry, 225 Post Street, I've never failed to find rain boots at Burberry, and this season is no exception. Head up to the mezzanine level at the Post Street flagship, where you'll see about four styles on display.
- Nordstrom, Westfield San Francisco Centre, 865 Market Street. Nordstrom has a table of Hunter spring-colored boots in the center of the main shoe department, and a few other pairs scattered throughout. The Nordstrom website shows about 40 styles available at the Westfield Centre store, including options from Ugg, Blondo, and Timberland.
- J. Crew and Madewell, Westfield San Francisco Centre, 845 Market Street. The sister stores both carry a Chelsea rain bootie in multiple colors. J. Crew has a couple Sperry duck boot styles as well.
- Saks Fifth Avenue, 384 Post Street. There are only a couple pairs of rain boots remaining on the sale rack, but you can find the full-price Givenchy chain rubber boots for a mere $450.
One Hit Wonders
There are few stores in the 'hood where you can find a single rain boot style. Hey, it's worth a shot, right?
- Kate Spade, Westfield San Francisco Centre, 845 Market Street. Stocking one style, the Sedgwick rain boot.
- Jimmy Choo, 164 Geary Street. The sole rain boot option is the harness-strap Cheshire style. It's $395, but it's really pretty.
- Aldo, 228 Powell Street. One true rain boot in stock, but a staffer assures me that any of their leather boots can be waterproofed with the water -resistant lotion.
- Tory Burch, Westfield San Francisco Centre, 845 Market Street. There's only one style, the April tall rain boot in navy, and it's only available at Westfield Centre.
- Michael Kors, Westfield San Francisco Centre, 845 Market Street. If you just want to shop at Michael Kors, then you can find a single rain boot option here. If you want choices, there's a larger MK selection at Macy's.
- Ted Baker, 80 Grant Avenue. There was only one rain shoe at Ted Baker, and it was a flat. A super-feminine, white and black rubber-bow bedecked jelly flat. But if you like bow flats, these won't get destroyed in the downpour. They also won't keep your feet warm.